Thursday, January 24, 2008

IAR 202 - An Interview



An interview with Claudio:
An Interview

Ashley/Denise: Hello, Claudio. Thank you for taking the time to help us with our project. So we’ll begin by asking you what city you are from in Italy?
CS: From Naples.
Ashley/Denise: We are wondering why you would want to leave such a beautiful country?
CS: Yes, it is a beautiful country, but because of political and financial reasons, the opportunities and freedom for a prosperous life do not exist as they do here in the States. Our family was very poor; I would have not been able to go to college in Italy.
Ashley/Denise: So you went to college? Where did you go?
CS: Yes, I went to UNC-Wilmington and majored in International Business.
Ashley/Denise: That’s fabulous! So how old were you when you came to the States?
CS: I was 15. I’ve been here for 20 years.
Ashley/Denise: And how was your journey here?
CS: Well, I already had 2 older brothers that were American citizens, so the move here was not difficult. I lived with my family in New York for a year when I came over, and then we moved to Wilmington [NC].
Ashley/Denise: Will you tell us about your family?
CS: Yes, I have 4 older brothers and a younger sister. I also have 3 nieces and 2 nephews. My oldest brother, Giovanni, still lives in Italy near Bologna. Another brother, Nunzio, is in New York. He is married with 2 children. Everyone else is still in Wilmington.
Ashley/Denise: Are you married?
CS: No.
Ashley/Denise: And your parents?
CS: My Mom is in Wilmington as well; my father passed away in ’01.
Ashley/Denise: We’re sorry to hear that. How is your mother?
CS: She’s doing ok. Since all of us kids are grown, she thinks often of moving back to Italy to be with her twin sister in Ischia. Her English is still very broken, so it’s been difficult for her.
Ashley/Denise: So English has been hard for her. But you hardly have an accent. Was learning English difficult for you?
CS: Yes, I think that was the most difficult thing at 15 and having to go to high school. We all had tutors though.
Ashley/Denise: Were there other challenges?
CS: The process for getting a green card is long and tough. Oh, and finding Italian foods, like bread, meats, and different pastas was very difficult when we moved to Wilmington. The only kind of bread we could find was sliced sandwich bread. And Mueller’s pastas are awful.
Ashley/Denise: What kinds of things did you have to adapt to within the American culture?
CS: In America, drinking is such a ‘big’ thing. In Italy, it’s part of the culture—you grow up drinking wine that your uncle made. It’s a regular thing at dinner.
Ashley/Denise: So why did your family choose Wilmington for your place to live?
CS: Mainly because it’s close to the beach, and that is what we were used to in Italy. And, at the time, Wilmington was still very quiet and affordable.
Ashley/Denise: So your work is in Wilmington?
CS: Yes. I am the International Sales Manager for House of Raeford. We export poultry to other countries. I travel quite a bit.
Ashley/Denise: Do you enjoy it?
CS: Yes, I do. Importing/exporting is what I wanted to do when I finished college. For a few years, I imported Italian wine into the States. It was interesting and I learned a lot, but it was hard to make money. I guess there’s too many other people doing that as well.
Ashley/Denise: It sounds like you are enjoying your life here. What other things did you do to adapt to the American culture?
CS: I worked to get rid of my Italian accent. I believed that has helped me succeed in business.
Ashley/Denise: Well, Claudio, that’s all the questions that we have for you. Thank you so much for your time.
CS: You’re welcome.

No comments: